Sunday, September 9, 2007

Like Magic


About three weeks ago, I ran into an old nemesis.

I drank. I felt guilty and a little dehydrated the next day. Other than that, I escaped unscathed. I have not drunk since.

I’ve discussed my drinking problem elsewhere online. One individual known for her tough love registered concern about my attitude. “You seem to have the idea that you drank and got away with it,” she wrote, “No big deal.”

She’s right; I do think I got away with it. What I’m unclear about, however, is how I got away and what “it” actually is.

I just finished reading The Year of Magical Thinking. In the book, the narrator describes her inability to throw away her late husband’s shoes. When he comes back, he’ll need shoes, won’t he? Such chimeras are a part of grief. They give voice to that chunk of the self that wants to deny that some situations are irreversible. This chunk tries to be like Superman in the 1970s movie; it wants to spin the planet backward and save Lois Lane from the earthquake.

Recovering alcoholics talk about “crossing the line.” The line represents when your drinking stops being fun, when there are (all of a sudden, it seems) serious consequences to drinking in the way that you do. You start missing work, for example, or you start enduring more aggressive hangovers. You start sabotaging your relationships. You start experiencing panic attacks. You start getting arrested. You start feeling like dying is okay.

Recognizing that one has crossed the line causes grief. Recovering alcoholics sometimes express the remorseful desire for life to go back to the way it was; they want to return to being the people they were before they became alcoholics. Because I drank for so many years without consequence, I’ve shared this grief acutely.

Just before I stopped drinking, I was miserable. I understood that I could not go on living this way. After I had been sober a little while, I noticed a number of pleasing changes. I was cheerier. I was more relaxed. I was more conscious of others. I liked all of these developments. I also remembered that life could be interesting and exciting without drinking; this fact had been eluding me.

Then, I attended a Special Occasion. A really special occasion, one not likely to be repeated. I sat in candlelight at a table with new friends. Servers poured wine. As I watched this happening, I thought, “You can choose to look beyond this local moment and see the big picture. You can choose to be the enlightened person, the strong person.”

I didn’t want to be strong and enlightened. I wanted to be like everyone else. I gave the pouring waitress a nod of assent.

Did the universe give me a break? Did I cheat destiny?

Nothing about this momentary return has gone the way recovering alcoholics have said it would:

“If you relapse, it will be worse. You’ll pick up right where you left off.”

“Going back ‘out’ is never worth it.”

“For us, to drink is to die.”

Holistic recovery from alcoholism seems to depend upon turning alcohol into an all-powerful demon. Maybe we are not really addicted to drinking but to absolutes.

Lately, I’ve heard myself say, “See? You can drink without a hassle. You successfully bent the rules. Why not try it again?”

Instead of doing this, though, I sip my lemon-lime soda and remember that even Joan Didion cannot perform magic.

4 comments:

Poppy Red said...

As the child of an alcoholic, I just want to voice my support for your choice to stop drinking, as well as my understanding of that desire to be "like everyone else." Your candor helps me in my own ongoing (maybe lifelong) attempts to have compassion for my father's alcoholism, even as I have absolutely every confidence that you will continue on a much better path than his...

Lauren said...

Thank you, poppy. I imagine that reading this stuff can be painful, too sometimes.

Puzzled said...

I tend to be wary of absolutes and the demonization of undesirable behaviors. These can certainly be effective tools for achieving challenging personal goals, but they can also backfire and cause paralyzing guilt.

Your post tells me you have a firm grasp on the situation and a healthy attitude about it. I wish you continued luck and strength in dealing with emotions surrounding this issue.

StilLifeInMotion said...

My darlink, I've been spending some time reading your wonderfully lyrical prose (if I can call it that, I'm not sure as my knowledge of the difference between prose and essay and other short forms of writing is limited). I've been enjoying it very much, the quietly grasefull candor, punctuated with subtle humor. You've developed this teriffic way of observing yourself and putting it into words that relate the tradgedy and humor of whatever cercumstance in a way that one (the reader) can relate to. It's like listening to a rather eloquent, dear friend. Wait a minute! You ARE an eloquent and dear friend! mine!
Love you and miss you terribly,
Natasha