Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Dirty Work

Ever question your motivations?

I decided that I might be able to write an interesting family memoir about my father, a bipolar man who worked in jail rehabilitation. When I went to a writing workshop in August, I asked a literary agent if she thought such a book would have a market. She said yes. Since then, I’ve been talking to people my dad worked with and trying to learn more about corrections in general. I’ve also learned more about bipolar disorder and my dad’s experience with it.

Bipolar is common, so there’s lots to read. Whenever I do this, though, I feel waves of shame, guilt, and anger. I’m ashamed and guilty that I didn’t do this research while my dad was alive, and I’m mad that neither he nor my mother disclosed to me the full extent of his condition. They didn’t know how to talk to me about it, I guess.

It’s alarming, however, to open books and read lists of typical bipolar behaviors and see my dad staring back at me. His disease might account for almost every twisted game, every irrational act, every abusive remark and ridiculous judgement he ever subjected me to. All the things that caused me to hate and fear him probably stemmed directly from his unhealthy brain chemistry. This discovery brings me pain as well as relief.

My parents and the people closest to them seemed to have wanted to minimize his disease. But now that Mom and Dad are gone, I’m free to pry as much as I like, and that’s pretty much what I’ve been doing. I took a closer look at some of my mother’s diaries, and I’m fairly sure I found the reason behind an old restraining order she filed. One night, my dad put his hand through the glass pane of a door, trying to get at my mother. She recounts staying up late cleaning up glass and blood. “He’s a maniac,” she writes. I don’t know where I was that night—I was nine.

My dad’s last severe episode happened in 1999. He drove himself to the hospital because he felt nauseous and cold (in the back of my mind, I wonder if he knew he was slipping mentally but found it easier to talk about other things instead). The staff discovered he was dehydrated and at high risk for lithium toxicity. They took him off the lithium altogether and then reintroduced it. This disruption triggered a nasty mania which led to his commitment. Medical reports state that he tried to hit a nurse and that he exhibited signs of acute delirium and paranoia. He believed that the Yellow Cab Company was plotting against him, and that assassins were trying to shoot him. During one psychiatric evaluation, he refused to answer all questions about family. He was never left by himself in the hospital room.

Reading this material makes me sad. It exhausts me. Why do I do it, then? Why am I so compelled? I can’t seem to let this water go under the bridge.

The lit agent told me that a book about growing up with a mentally ill parent could help a lot of people, especially given my dad’s unusual career and the secrecy surrounding his diagnosis. But is this the kind of help I can really afford to give? Do I want to give it?

Surely there are other ways for me to make my writing useful to others. This project could turn out like too much of an exercise in scab picking.

4 comments:

Jane said...

Would it be possible to tell the story as you actually experienced it, without this medical knowledge that you have now? Do some imaginative time travel. Tell your childhood and young adulthood straight, and then bring in, later, the growing (more adult) awareness and knowledge you had of your father's illness and struggles. Just tell your story, Lauren, and leave it to the agent to "position" it and let your readers find in it what they will -- some will find comfort, and others might just find your story, and the way you have of telling it, gripping. (Plus, you have a great, sly sense of humor.) And perhaps this approach to it would make it more possible for you (although some scab-picking will surely occur, it never fails). Oh - and you could do it in sections, over time, with breaks in between. My two cents. Your pal, j.

Unknown said...

Just to state the obvious for a moment, what you will bring to the telling of this story is love, despite the many challenges that must have surrounded your father's illness. It will be scab-picking as you say, but such exercises are so cathartic, too - not to mention useful to others. Even though you know more now about what he suffered with and why (there is simply more information posted on the internet about bipolar disorder than there was even 5 or 10 years ago -- more is known now about the disease), I'm sure that there is so much to say, and as the other poster notes, people will take from it/find in it, what they will, regardless of the approach you take. It is your story, your truth. And I'll look forward to reading it.

Lauren said...

Thank you very much, jane and hi.

I started researching at the agent's suggestion, and right now I'm just awash in information. I'll process it and help it find its place in the narrative.

I've also been considering making my search an integral part of the story.

Nicola O. said...

Lauren, write this piece if it will help YOU. Don't worry about helping anyone else. If the pain isn't "productive," as they say about labor pains, then you shouldn't do it, IMO. But based on this post, you have an amazing voice to bring this story to life.